Home News 4th grader Savannah Horton recognized for classroom essay.

4th grader Savannah Horton recognized for classroom essay.

Posted on: June 14, 2017

Last week,  a donor gave Tangent Elementary’s fourth grade teacher, Janeen Tope-Lehn a $20 bill and suggested that she ask her students to write a classroom essay entitled “What I would do if given $20.” The winner, as selected by the school staff, would receive the $20. The assignment was in recognition of the district’s character education program, which emphasizes kindness and social responsibility.

The winner was Savannah Horton. See essay below. (Essay is typed below the image.)

“If I was given 20 dollars, I would help the homeless. I would buy clothes for them. I would buy food for them. I would find shelter for them. But there is only so much you can do with 20 dollars. I will do my best for them and hopefully they will find a home. I believe everyone deserves warmth and comfort.”

On the last day of school, Savannah was recognized again for choosing to donate her $20 to Fish of Albany. Our own 2nd grade teacher, Jeanie Mowery is an active volunteer for Fish and accepted the money of it’s behalf.

If you would like to know more about Fish, please visit their website at http://www.fishofalbany.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

Share this post: