Welcome to Tangent Elementary School.
Home of the SUPERSTARS!!
Built in 1965, Tangent Elementary School is proudly educating its second and third generation of children. Located on an 8-acre campus amid fertile farm fields, Tangent Elementary serves a large area surrounding the community for which the school is named.
To educate and inspire all students to reach their full potential, equipped to be positive, contributing members of society.
As elementary educators, we realize our crucial roles in teaching reading, math, and writing. We are dedicated to focusing on academic skills while weaving in social-emotional education. We offer music and pe classes to broaden our educational day to include fitness and the arts.
Tangent Elementary students follow the schoolwide expectations that fall under “SuperSTAR” behavior: Safety, Teamwork, Accountability, Respect. Students who follow these rules are invited to participate in schoolwide celebrations throughout the year, such as special assemblies, “Minute to Win-it,” Inflatables, and water fun! Students who are caught in the act with positive behavior are instantly recognized by receiving a Tangent Star ticket. These tickets are reinforced by the classroom teacher in a variety of ways.
Tangent Elementary has a strong focus of celebrating student successes in multiple ways.
- SuperStar Assemblies: We have monthly character trait celebrations. Parents are invited and students are recognized for their efforts in meeting our schoolwide expectations. These are usually held the first week of each month to celebrate the efforts of the previous month.
- SuperStar Parties: As part of our focus on rewarding students for hard work both in the classroom and around the school, we hold monthly SuperStar Parties. These are a variety of experiences where students get free time to engage with each other in something fun. We are always open for new ideas and parent involvement and support in running these events. Previous SuperStar parties have included sidewalk chalk, dance party, water party, art, game day, and many others.
- Swimming: The district has received a grant providing swimming education and transportation to the pool. This is offered annual and our third, fourth and fifth grade students will spend two weeks learning skills of water safety. This is their PE lessons for those two weeks and staff attend to supervise.
- Field Day: This event is held as our final SuperStar party of the year. Our PE teacher designs many outside activities for students to have a relaxing final afternoon with their school friends. When weather permits we have water, popsicles and a bar-b-q lunch outside. Parent volunteers are welcome provided you have participated in the volunteer training held in the Fall and again in January.
- Kinder and Fifth grade Promotions: We do not have graduation as that means you are finished! We are just beginning, so we have an end of year celebration for our Kindergarten students and another for our Fifth grade students heading to sixth grade at Memorial Middle School.
Family members are invited to volunteer in the classroom, fieldtrips and to help with the above special events. Teachers are often looking for consistent and regular help in classrooms (requiring a regular weekly commitment), occasional preparation of materials, chaperone field trips, and join our Parent Teacher Committee to help in other ways.
The Parent/Teacher Club has been on hiatus during COVID. We are building this committee back up and invite you to come and help out in anyway you can. This is not a huge time commitment but we would appreciate support in school activities, fundraising and ideas to make our school a community resource. In the past, this group has been instrumental in raising funds for needed school items such as computers and projectors, library books, playground structures, and equipment. They also play a major role in planning and putting on our annual events and coordinate volunteering in the school. **Please check our school calendar for upcoming meetings and opportunities to help out.