Today was the annual Otter Beach trip to Corvallis for our 1st thru 5th grade students.
Visiting local artist, Mrs. Volbeda, was invited to first grade to introduce art by Post-Impressionist painter Vincent Willem van Gogh. Van Gogh was a Dutch painter who is among the most famous and influential figures in the history of Western art. The students then were given the opportunity to create their own “Van Gogh”. Click on the images shown below of some of the students’ work.
Mrs. Volbeda will be returning next week on May 31st to introduce works by Paul Klee, a Swiss-German artist. His highly individual style was influenced by movements in art that included Expressionism, Cubism, and Surrealism.
1st and 2nd graders at Tangent had their vocal performance on May 23rd. Music teacher, Steve Herb, organized a series of lullabies including some from other languages. Tangent families supported the event in a big way. Nearly all of the first and second graders participated and the multi-generational audience topped 100 people!
The annual retiree reception recognized the contributions of 30 GAPS teachers, classified staff and administrators who are leaving the District after serving Greater Albany students for a combined total of 539 years.
Family members and friends joined retirees at the tropical paradise-themed reception. Human Resources Director Randy Lary introduced the following retirees:
- Lenora Roberts, Grade 1 – Fir Grove : 37 years
- Kerri Lemerande, Science – WAHS: 29 years
- Lori McGuire, Assistant to HR Director – District Office: 29 years
- Barb Villaruel, School Office Manager – Waverly: 28 years
- Cindy Holcomb, Grade 2 – Oak: 26 years
- Kathy Kalina, Special Education Assistant – Periwinkle : 26 years
- Karen Kennedy, School Office Manager – SAHS: 24 years
- Connie Shrout, Grade 4 – Timber Ridge: 23 years
- Judy Davies, Special Education Assistant – North Albany Elementary: 22 years
- Cindy Miller, Functional Skills – Calapooia Middle: 22 years
- Krista Hartman, College Credit – WAHS: 21 years
- Maria Martinez, Counseling Secretary & Registrar – Memorial Middle: 21 years
- Pat Weidmann, Principal – Sunrise : 21 years
- Sharon DuBeau, Language Arts – Calapooia Middle: 18 years
- Jessica Jamison-Wells, Language Arts – North Albany Middle: 18 years
- Terry Amerling, Special Education Assistant – Liberty : 17 years
- Jennifer Hagen, Personal Care Assistant – SAHS: 16 years
- Leo Huot, Assistant Principal – North Albany Middle: 16 years
- Sandi McGinnis, Special Education Assistant – Calapooia Middle: 16 years
- Robert Frampton, Special Needs Bus Driver – Transportation: 15 years
- LaDeen Marlowe, Bus Driver – Transportation: 14 years
- Gary Johnson, Custodian – Memoria Middle: 13 years
- Mary Lou Seibel, Custodian – Oak: 12 years
- Tim Haag, Grade 4 – Central: 11 years
- Ruth Holmes, Special Education Assistant – South Shore: 11 years
- Greg Lehr, Custodian – Calapooia Middle: 11 years
- Durwood Ranton, Bus Driver – Transportation: 11 years
- Joyce Stringer, Business – SAHS: 11 years
- Corina Victorio, Secretary – South Shore; 5 years
- Kim Schueller, Special Education Assistant-Communication – Takena: 5 years